My favorite tree

In my forest engineering career I have seen a lot tree, but until now, my favorite tree is the Canelo, his scientific name is Drimys winteri, and this an endemic and native tree of Chile and Argentina. Drimys winteri, is a sacred tree for the Mapuche people.  
The wood is a light reddish color, the flowers are white and small, and the leaves are shining green and cloudy on the underside, by this last characteristic is called “the tree of the silver”.
This tree is very interesting because is a transition between gymnosperms and angiosperms, two group very important in the vegetal taxonomy. Drimys winteri belongs to plants with flower (angiosperms), but in its structure it has tracheid, a particulate characteristic of gymnosperms.
The Canelo has in its bark tannins, a natural protection against insect, and besides this tree has high concentration of vitamin C, even more that fruits like oranges and lemons.
This tree really is unique on the world and I love it J
My friends nickname me Drimys, because they say that my name Dámaris looks like Drimys, and of course, because I am also unique on the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Types of plants.

My future job

My favorite piece of technology